The narrow boat Beatrice serves children with additional needs from schools in North Staffordshire. It is also used by groups that may benefit from its disabled facilities and fund-raising trips are arranged for social groups. Beatrice is moored at the Cheddleton Flint Mill, on the beautiful Caldon Canal.
The charity’s vision is safely to
• give children with special needs – be they physical, emotional, educational or social - a pleasant, interesting and memorable outing in surroundings which are, for many, otherwise denied to them;
• provide the opportunity for disabled children and adults to experience, enjoy and learn from the many delights of waterway cruising;
• offer boat users the chance to participate in the process of narrow boat working – giving them an interesting and rewarding way of developing confidence and self-esteem.
The children served are from specialist schools. Adult groups include care homes, homes for the disabled, residential villages for the elderly, disability groups. On average each year Beatrice
• carries 625 children on 82 runs;
• runs 25 trips for groups that may benefit from our facilities for those with disabilities;
• hosts 16 social groups on fund-raising trip;
• takes 1,286 passengers (including school and care staff) on 124 trips.
The Beatrice Charity
01538 386820 beatricecharity.org